Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Architecture advice

2008-04-01 11:41:28
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Architecture advice
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Clooney, David" <david.clooney AT bankofamerica DOT com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:15:55 -0500
On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:45 AM, Clooney, David <david.clooney AT bankofamerica DOT com> wrote:
Thanks Ed

Very basically would you suggest the following

- build new master to match that of current - 5.1 MP6
- migrate to new master
- upgrade new master to 6.0 MP4

This step isn't needed.

- upgrade new master to 6.5.1
- blast old master and make media server

Basically, that's it.  One major change at a time so if something fails, you can back out.   You don't really want to call Symantec and say "I did a migration to new hardware, a new OS release, and upgraded NBU all at the same time and now it doesn't work".

On Solaris 10, watch the tcp_fusion system parameter.  We've found that it has to be disabled on master servers but enabled on media servers.

Log a call before you do your upgrades so they can be ready for you if you do run into problems.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org