Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Architecture advice

2008-04-01 06:59:34
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Architecture advice
From: "Clooney, David" <david.clooney AT bankofamerica DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 11:01:29 +0100
Hi ALL

I was wondering whether i could pick some of your brains.

Master/Media Solaris 8 - 5.1 MP6

I have recently implemented a SUN/FalconSTor VTL into an Netbackup environment I look after, previously in the physical world there where 18 X 9940B drives shared by the Solaris master/media, a windows media server and a cluster windows media server.

When i picked up the environment there where numerous 196's understandably, by implementing the VTL and considerably being able to present devices the problem now lies with the master/media server not being able to cope.

At busy periods now there are a number of backups that fall over with 25's (can't connect on socket), now this master/media only has 1 gigabit Ethernet interface and all backups it is responsible for are over ip. The windows media servers are responsible for all our SAN backups.

My assumption is  that these 25 errors are due to either the gigabit card being swamped (quite possible) or the tcp stack on the box being overloaded.

Way forward

The move to 6.0(MP4) and then 6.5.1 is imminent starting around then end of Q2, with this i have the approval for a chunkier Solaris 10 Master/media.

The new server is pretty much available immediately so my question is:

Is it worth my while and are the implications of deploying this new server as a media server and when we get round to upgrading to 6.0 MP4 and at a later stage promoting this new server to become master??

Thanks in advance

Dave Clooney

Notice to recipient:
The information in this internet e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee please notify the sender immediately by telephone. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

When addressed to external clients any opinions or advice contained in this internet e-mail are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in any applicable governing terms of business or client
engagement letter issued by the pertinent Bank of America group entity.

If this email originates from the U.K. please note that Bank of America, N.A., London Branch and Banc of America Securities Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.  For all U.K. corporate disclosures, please refer to www.bankofamerica.com/ukcompanies