Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5 index size

2008-03-28 09:31:09
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5 index size
From: Dariusz Klar <Dariusz.Klar AT Sun DOT COM>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:03:02 +0100
Ed,

I know the general rules, but... Another challenge for me is to estimate
disk space for NetBackup catalog where total amount of data under
NetBackup protection is 3.6 PB (peta bytes) with ability to grow to 8.5
PB in the future.

The difference between 1% and 2% of total amount of protected data for
catalog does matter. The difference vary from 36 TB to 85 TB in case of
1% difference. I need to be more precise. If I will say to my customer
that they have to buy 255 TB (3% of total amount of data in the future)
for NetBackup catalog, I have to be 100% sure what I'm talking about.

I called Symantec and with that big data volume they are not 100% sure
about space size for NetBackup catalog.

In this case "size" does matter ;-) Small mistake can cost a lot of money.

regards,

Darek