Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5 index size

2008-03-28 07:56:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5 index size
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: Dariusz.Klar AT sun DOT com
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 06:41:50 -0500
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 3:52 AM, Dariusz Klar <Dariusz.Klar AT sun DOT com> wrote:
Recently I noticed that indexes are consuming a lot of disk space. Does
anyone know the rule, how to plan space for indexes? Looks like
something has changed since older versions of NetBackup.

I don't think anything has changed.  The challenge in planning is that the catalog size is based on number of files you're backing up, not the size of the files.  If you back up a lot of small files, your catalog will be much larger than the site that backs up the same amount of disk space containint large databases.  The longer the retentions, the more likely it is that you'll need a larger catalog for backing up the same amount of disk space.

The golden rule to remember is to never, ever fill your catalog disk.  Use a different file system for your logs since they're the most likely thing to fill the disk.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org