Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Can a Single NetBackup Client talk to MultipleMaster?Media?

2008-03-20 06:20:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Can a Single NetBackup Client talk to MultipleMaster?Media?
From: "Bobby Williams" <bobbyrjw AT comcast DOT net>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 06:01:51 -0400
If the client machines are Windows systems, then you could use multiple
masters.  If the client systems are anything else, you will have to go with
a Enterprise wide master and media servers at the branches.

Windows incremental backups in NB are based on the archive bit (unless
someone has done something not very wise).

The other OS systems use the time stamp of the policy to determine what to
include in the incremental.  The policy info is stored on the master server
in the image database.

One big word of caution:  make sure that you can do multiple full backups
without have to use the same tape over.  You don't want to use the tapes for
your current full backup to do you next full backup.  If an error occurred,
you would have no full backup at all.

If you are using multiple masters, they just need to be in the bp.conf /
registry.

Same for media servers.  They just need to be in the bp.conf / registry

Bobby Williams
2205 Peterson Drive
Chattanooga, Tennessee  37421
423-296-8200