Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Can a Single NetBackup Client talk to Multiple Master?Media?

2008-03-19 18:13:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Can a Single NetBackup Client talk to Multiple Master?Media?
From: srabbi <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:30:39 -0400
Hi All,

I am designing a centralized backup/restore solution for 100+ branches. We are
currently using NetBackup to do the data backup at a local tape
library attached to each branch server. Our business folks do not want to
mount/unmount tapes for weekly and incremental backup. So my task is
to find an innovative way to solve this tape handling problem. We also have a
very strict SLA for data restore ( 4 hrs) with business.

I am wondering if I can keep the local tape library in a lock down state and
use it for weekly full backup (i.e overwriting tapes) and do the incremental
back at the central site. This means that each NetBackup client needs to talk
to a Master and Media Server for the Full backup and then talk to another
Master/Media Server for incremental backup over the WAN.  Can a NetBackup
client configured to talk ot multiple Master server?  IF so, what is the way to
configure it?

My Branch servers are all Win2003 Servers and have medium speed WAN link. Any
insight to the proposed solution would be much appreciated. I exhuasted
seraching NetBackup documentation and I could not find an answer (yes/No) to my
question. I hope Fourm members can anser to my question based on their
experience. Thanks