Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5.1 and Exchange 2007

2008-03-19 08:59:18
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5.1 and Exchange 2007
From: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com>
To: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com>, "VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:31:46 -0400

From the netbackup exchange book.

Description of Types of Backups

Type of Backup Description

Full Backup

For server backups, this schedule type will back up the Exchange Server

database and associated transaction logs. All committed transaction logs

will be truncated (deleted) after they are successfully backed up.

For mailbox backups, this schedule type will back up the entire mailbox,

including all the folders and messages in that mailbox.

For the Public Store, this schedule type will backup the entire Public Store,

including all the folders and messages within the Public Store.

                              Differential-

A differential incremental backup will only back up changes since the last

incremental backup

full or differential incremental backup. Differential incremental backups can

be performed of databases, the KMS and SRS services, mailboxes and of the

Public Share.

When using this method to back up a database, only transaction logs are

backed up. After the successful backup of the transaction logs, all

committed logs will be truncated (deleted). The truncation of the transaction

logs sets the context for the next backup.

To perform a full restore the data needed is contained in multiple

NetBackup images. One image for the full backup and another image for

each differential incremental that was performed.

User Backup

A user backup is not automatically scheduled and is initiated on the target

client machine.

A user-directed backup of a database is identical to a full backup except that

the transaction logs are not truncated. Because of this, user backups are like

taking a snapshot of the databases at a given point in time without

impacting the content of ongoing full and incremental backups.

You may want to consider creating a separate policy for User Backup

schedule types. This will allow you to easily separate user-directed and

scheduled backups when restoring files. If you decide to create separate

policies for User Backup schedule types, the considerations are similar to

those for automatic backups. A Backup Selections list is not needed because

users select the files before starting the operation.