Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Encryption - NetBackup 6.5.1

2008-03-11 10:54:05
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Data Encryption - NetBackup 6.5.1
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Andy Skates" <andy.skates AT btopenworld DOT com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:23:39 -0500
A lot of people have experiences and if you search the archives, you'll find some reports.

In general, from what I've heard, a small client or 2 when excess CPU capacity is manageable with client-side encryption.  Media server encryption isn't all that popular (it's new and pricey) and I don't recall anybody talking about it here.

For larger volumes, a dedicated encryption device is the recommended solution.  NetApp, which acquired Decru, is the leading provider (by far).  See http://www.decru.com for some more info on these devices.  We've got 3 FC520 appliances and they really are sweet.  The don't care what OS the client is - they only care that it's NetBackup that's writing the tapes (and a few other backup systems are supported).  There's zero load on the clients or media servers, and that's usually a good thing - they don't even know the FC520 is in the middle of the path.

   .../Ed