Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Mailbox backup error?

2008-03-11 02:54:49
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Mailbox backup error?
From: "WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
To: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>, "Lawler, Michael C." <MCLawler AT cooperstandard DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 06:31:23 -0000
Hi Curtis
Yes, some of the features are involved in the Recovery Storage Group and Mailbox Recovery Centre.

I am not a fan of BLB (brick level backups) and assuming your Exchange environment is setup correctly, you can take steps to help avoid the BLB process. Exchange Admins have "deleted item retentions" enabled within Exchange for example, will help with the users recovering messages.

Also, if a Mailbox is accidently deleted and needs to be recovered there are several methods that can be tried to get it back:

1) information store recovery (loss of service while this is being done)
2) information store recovery to a "Recovery Storage Group" - which means no loss of service to anyone
3) Mailbox Retention. For example if someone leaves, and you delete the mailbox, you will have the option to recover the mailbox if you have configured mailbox retention periods.

Sure if you want to recover a message (aka a single message), fine; however if the person is silly enough to delete it in the first place, I would turn around and say "sorry we do not perform brick level backups". If its your company policy, either change it, or stick with it.......

The minute we moved to NetBackup / Ex2k3 the policy was "no brick level backups". We can recover and backup the information stores in such a short period of time, that its just overkill (for us) to perform BLB. Plus they are troublesome when they go wrong. and I simply dislike them (list most Exchange Admins).

Of course the major function of Ex2k3 (based on us the customers) is the Recovery Storage Group.... no longer do you need to setup a new Ex2k3 Server, AD environment, single server, ect, the process is as simple as an Information Store "restore" :-) SP1 offers some extra features to make live easier, including the "Mailbox Recovery Centre" :-)

Plus support for BLB is placed at the ownership of companies like Veritas to help and troubleshoot problems (as well as lists like this I may add!) but its SLOW SLOW SLOW... the time you get to backup the BLB, you could well have done a backup and restore of the IS Store (or stores!).

I have provided some basic links, but I am sure if you google, you can find more... But if you are happy with the slowdown of BLB, and you really feel its justified, then please continue, but in my case, we do not support this, but we could use the built in methods to assist (if we wanted to)!

Simon