Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DR testing Solution and Plan

2008-03-06 13:06:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DR testing Solution and Plan
From: "Jackson, Todd" <c-todd.jackson AT invitrogen DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 12:29:11 -0500
Hello Everyone

I have an issue where I need to provide a relatively quick DR plan
but the issue is a bit difficult to plan a quick and effective solution.

We need to provide a solution in case our production Master server goes down
and to restore critical data using our DR site across the street. The problem is
that the DR site is not a match of the Production site.

Production site
NB 6.0 Master
6 media servers

DR site
NB 6.0 Master
No media servers

The Situation

I cannot restore the hot catalog because it is trying to locate those media servers in the database and bombs out.

I restored the cold catalog but since we do not delete anything the catalog is huge (198 GB's)

Restoring either catalog is going to take hours because of the size and trying to rebuild the catalog
everyday doesn't make sense just to restore current data of one of our critical systems.

I could use the two phase import but that takes time also and I would like a better solution.

Ideas

I was thinking of using two options ... the first is:

Windows NT NetBackup server:
Use the RegEdit application to modify the key

     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config

     to add the value FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER and then set the
     newly added value to fromhost tohost, where fromhost is the media
     server that performed the original backup and tohost is the
     desired media host to use for the restore.

The 2nd option is the Host Overide Option

bpimage.exe -id media_id -newserver hostname
-oldserver hostname

Only problem is that the DR server is the Exact same name as the Production Master. However I am assuming the
main thing is to override the media server that the image is assigned to.

Last idea I have is to place a media server in the DR environment matching one of the production media
server names. Then only use that media server to back up critical systems so that it will match the DR site media
server in the catalog. However this would still involve building the catalog.

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated !!??

Thanks
Jackson