Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Fragment Size

2008-03-03 16:41:39
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Fragment Size
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: "Mohre, Oliver" <oliver.mohre AT novartis DOT com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 16:25:22 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Mohre, Oliver wrote:

> Dear NetBackup community,
>

> i have a question about the "Fragment Size" option in NetBackup 6.5
> Windows Server 2003 environment.
>
> Are there any good known values for? Actually I set for all storage
> units (diskstaging and mediamanagers) a value of 2048 MB - is this a
> good option or is this fragment size to small?
It depends on your dataset, I use 32 GiB personally, back in the day I used
to use 2048 MiB but with drive backup speeds > 100 MiB/s the drive barely spins
up for a few seconds before it has to take a moment and write a marker every
2 gigabytes, I recommend a higher value.

Obviously the higher the value means the longer it will take to seek for an
individual file so its up to you to pick a good value.