Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How do you use NBCC?

2008-03-03 16:02:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How do you use NBCC?
From: "Tony T." <rollthebones AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:35:03 -0600
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Sean Mohr <sean.mohr AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
It made for support to look at it and you really have to let them check it out.

We went through the process and it took multiple passes and fixes of problems in our catalog before we are ok to do the upgrade and the upgrade (or at least the catalog conversion) went off without a hitch.

The upgrade converts the 5.1 flat files into a database.  The  loading of the tables in the upgrade enforces database type consistency rules that will cause the import to fail when it finds things in your current version that it does  not like.

As prime example is media that is still assigned to a Media server that no longer that.  (Like a decommission or migration)

Hope this helps

Thanks for the information everyone.  This step has been done and other than a tape needing to be unfrozen there were no issues reported by Symantec.

As part of documenting the steps I need to take, I am going through the PDF from Symantec "Upgrading to Veritas Netbackup 6.5".  It is very detailed, although there are a few steps that I do not see explained:

Make a copy of the current Barcode rules."

How do I do this?

The step to run 'nbpushdata' is also a bit confusing.  Here is a snippet from the guide, it is step 17:

Run the nbpushdata command.
This command moves data from your current database files (a subset of the NetBackup catalog) into a newly created EMM database. The sequence of when and on what systems you run the nbpushdata command is extremely important. For more information on running nbpushdata and creating the EMM database after you upgrade servers, refer to "Populating the NetBackup EMM Database" in the NetBackup 6.0 Installation Guides.

The following list provides the order in which you must run the nbpushdata command in your environment.
a 5.x Global Device Database Host - Run nbpushdata -add on the 5.x server that was configured as the
Global Device Database Host. This is usually a master server, but a media server as the Global Device
Database Host is also a supported configuration

b Master servers - There is no particular order in which you must run nbpushdata -add on your master
servers after you have run it on the server that was configured as the Global Device Database Host.
VERITAS

c Volume Database Hosts - You must next run nbpushdata -add on the server designated as a Volume
Database Host. If the Volume Database Host was also the Global Device Database Host or a master server,
this step does not apply.

d Media Servers - Any remaining media servers that have not been upgraded to NetBackup 6.5 Media servers
can be upgraded at a later time.
==

What is a "Global Device Database Host" ?  Is it part of the master server, and if so will I only have to run it once on the master server?  There is only one master server in this environment, no (other) media servers at all.

Also as part of this step, is there any way to estimate how long it will take?  I suppose it has something to do with the amount of data currently being backed up, speed of the server, etc?

Thanks again,

T.