Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Flashbackup restores

2008-02-29 17:59:20
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Flashbackup restores
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Leidy, Jason D" <Leidy.Jason AT con-way DOT com>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:49:51 -0600
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Leidy, Jason D <Leidy.Jason AT con-way DOT com> wrote:

We recently had a Windows server crash, we were using  Flashbackup to back it up. We decided to do a redirected restore (raw partition) to another standbye server. The original server had a 352GB partition (300 of it is used space), we thought this would be a good opportunity to expand the amount of free space so we allocated and created a 500GB partition on the new server (san attached). The restore went fine but we noticed when we were done that My Computer indicates the original size and used\free space, Disk Manager shows the entire 500GB partition.

In short, we lost 148GB of free space. Symantec said that's the way Flashbackup works, it's a best practice to restore to a partition of the exact same size (no problem if we are restoring to the original drive). Anyway, this doesn't seem right…….I would think this leaves Windows in an unstable state. Anyone run into this before?

This is the way it works and is the way it's documented.

Is there a work-around? As I understand it, it's all or nothing with Full restores on Flashbackup.

If you want to expand the volume, do a file-based restore from your Flash backups.  You'll take longer to do the restore, but the volume will be expanded.

I wouldn't be surprised, though, if there wasn't a 3rd party hack to expand the size of that volume to let you use the remaining 148GB.  Check into something like Partition Magic or something along those lines.   I'm not that good with Windows though - try it with a test volume first (unless you like restores :-)).

   .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org