Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup Device Configuration in a Cluster

2008-02-27 11:32:22
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup Device Configuration in a Cluster
From: "Paul Keating" <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
To: "Esson, Paul" <Paul.Esson AT Redstor DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:59:18 -0500
Discalimer: I haven't implemented the exact scenario you are describing (SF-HA on Sol-10), but have kludged something similar.

you need to configure your drives to the OS so that the drive config is common on each node.

NBU doesn't care too much about the actual PCI device path, but rather just the drive index (it's location in the library) and the device file name.

Normally when you "discover" your tape devices, the OS numbers them, as /dev/rmt/0cbn, 1cbn, 2cbn, etc....so when you configure the second box, it will reorder the numbers.
you can "hardcode" the correlation between the device and the /dev/rmt entry in your /etc/devlink.tab so that /dev/rmt/0cbn on node A is the same drive as on node B.

Once this is done, there isn't even any need to failover to the second node and reconfig, as the config from node A will be applicable to node B as well.

Paul