Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1: Disk staging causing heavy fragmentation

2008-02-20 16:31:59
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1: Disk staging causing heavy fragmentation
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Tony T." <rollthebones AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:09:52 -0500

>It sounds like fragmentation is  just a given when it comes to backing up to disk?

It is a given when backing up to a FILESYSTEM and leaving backups on the filesystem.  VTLs don’t have this issue.  And a disk staging system won’t have it if you empty it every night.

>Also, when you say "set the minimum threshold lower so that more files get deleted..."

>This confused me; I mean, isn't the fragmentation being caused by so many file creation/deletions?

>Wouldn't increasing the amount of files being deleted also increase the fragmentation?

If you have bigger amounts of free space for new backups to write to, they will write their data to contiguous sections of disk (i.e. unfragmented0 from the start.  The best would be a completely empty filesystem each night.  All backups would be written on contiguous sections of disk (i.e. unfragmented).  But when you delete one file, followed by writing another file, and so on, each file is being fragmented from the very start.  So if you tell it to delete sooner, you give the files more room to work and thus write unfragmented.