Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1: Disk staging causing heavy fragmentation

2008-02-19 17:12:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NBU 5.1: Disk staging causing heavy fragmentation
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Tony T." <rollthebones AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:56:00 -0600
On Feb 19, 2008 12:37 PM, Tony T. <rollthebones AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
Has anyone heard of this issue? I have an environment where NBU 5.1 (plans to get to 6.5.1 are in the works) is backing up to disk then staging to tape.
The admins tell me that the area where the backups are going gets very fragmented after each backup.  It is a Windows box, using NTFS.

It's NTFS and you're creating and deleting a lot of files on the volume so of course it will fragment.  Either defragment the volume or set the minimum threshold lower so that more files get deleted when the cleanup process runs to reduce the fragmentation.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org