Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] EMM Error 800 when trying to backup to a disk storage unit.

2008-02-19 10:42:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] EMM Error 800 when trying to backup to a disk storage unit.
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:25:05 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Justin Piszcz wrote:

> I found the root cause.
>
> Will update shortly.

Go to:
1. /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class

I have two polices:
1. test
2. test3

Look at the residence pool for each policy.
1. grep ^POOL test/info
POOL Scratch NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBack
up NetBackup NetBackup
2. grep ^POOL test3/info
POOL NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBa
ckup NetBackup NetBackup

Obviously the problem here is the pool is set to use Scratch--which does not
work for the disk storage units, it needs to be NetBackup, we use Scratch
here for scratch tapes.

So how do you fix it? I'd call this a nasty netbackup bug (if you copy an
existing policy to a new one and only change the storage unit).

There are two ways to fix it:

1. Create a new policy, select the DDR and it should work.
2. Take your existing policy.
    -> Select Policy storage unit.
    -> Select a TAPE BASED unit.
    -> Select policy volume pool:
    -> Select NetBackup
    -> Click Apply.
    -> Now, select your DDR/disk unit.
    -> This will overwrite the first pool selection in the info file of the
       policy.
    -> $ grep ^POOL test/info
      POOL NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup
NetBackup
NetBackup NetBackup NetBackup

3. Then re-run the backup and it is successful!

What a pain.

Justin.