Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Upgrading NetBackup 6.0m4 to 6.5 [With a Twist]

2008-02-15 18:20:24
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Upgrading NetBackup 6.0m4 to 6.5 [With a Twist]
From: "Matthew Stier" <Matthew.Stier AT us.fujitsu DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:04:12 -0500
Long ago, I started with NetBackup 3.4 running on a Enterprise 450 running Solaris 2.6 system. Over the years I've upgraded the OS to Solaris 8, and NetBackup to 4.5, then 5.1, and finally to 6.0mp4.

Now I plan on taking several leaps, but am indecisive on how to take them.

One leap, is from 6.0mp4 to 6.5.

A second leap is from the Enterprise 450 to a Enterprise T5220.

A third leap is from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10. [This leap is tied to the change in platform, I won't be able to upgrade the E450 to Solaris 10 and the minimum OS for the T5220 is Solaris 10.]

I have NetBackup in /usr/openv on the operating system disk. I have the catalog (/usr/openv/netbackup/db), as a volume I mount from my SAN.

Now for the choice I have to make:

1) Do I install 6.0mp4 on the T5220. Mount the catalog on the T5220 test it out, and then upgrade when satisfied?

2) Do I upgrade the E450 to 6.5, test it out, install 6.5 on the T5220 and move over the catalog, test and roll it out?

3) Or will it be safe to just install 6.5 on the T5220, move over the 6.0 catalog, and run with it.

And finally, any tools to migrate NetBackup from one host to another? are the policies defined in the catalog (/usr/openv/netbackup/db) or am going to have to record them by had, and recreate them from scratch?