Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] General Advice - Flash Backups

2008-02-11 11:31:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] General Advice - Flash Backups
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "WEAVER, Simon (external)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:54:48 -0600
On Feb 11, 2008 9:21 AM, WEAVER, Simon (external) <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net> wrote:

Scenario: 1 Win2k3 Server with 8 VDisks connected to a large enterprise SAN. environment Win2k3 Master + Many Media Servers using SSO. LTO2 Drives.

Total Data is approx 2TB split across these vdisks.

As Data is a mixture of files, sizes, compressed zipped and uncompressed, I get the backups completing in around 18 hours as a San Media using SSO.

Just wondering if Flash Backups are the answer here for this type of system?

Flash Backups are the answer for lots of little files.  If you have a lot of big files, it won't do much for you.  Our original testing was on 250GB volumes with 10M files on them and Flash Backups cut the elapsed time in half.

I just checked one of our Windows file clusters with a wide mixture of file sizes and it backed up 525GB in under 5 hours and that's just a single stream - there were multiple streams active on this server at the same time.  This job was writing directly to LTO-3 drives at about 33MB/sec over a GigE network.  We don't use SAN Media Servers at all - in my opinion, they're evil when sharing tape drives.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org