Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Assign priority for backup clients

2008-02-07 07:35:18
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Assign priority for backup clients
From: "Stump, Bob A" <Bob.A.Stump AT fnis DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 06:19:25 -0600
Please see the NetBackup system Admin Guide II Chapter 5 on prioritizing
queued jobs. Usually the clients will run top-down from the lient list
but that is not constant as a separate priority would be.

For example, assume that clients ant and beetle have backup jobs that
are in the same policy and have the same retention level. Also assume
that the schedules for these backup jobs both have a frequency of 1 day.
If the last backup for client ant ran 25 hours ago and the last backup
for client beetle ran 26 hours ago, then both clients are overdue for a
backup. However, the client beetle job is the most overdue and will run
first.

This approach ensures that a backup that was not successful during its
previous backup window has priority over backups that were successful.
This is important on a busy system where the backup window can sometimes
close before all backups can begin

Again, the best solution is to break out the critical clients into their
own policy and then you can give the policy a higher priority. This is
another case that Mr. Preston is once again shown to be correct :-)