Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Aptare Storage Console vs. Veritas Backup Reporter

2008-02-05 10:40:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Aptare Storage Console vs. Veritas Backup Reporter
From: "Matthew Agle" <rascal1981 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Kevin Whittaker" <Kevin.Whittaker AT syniverse DOT com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:18:17 -0600
All,

     I have done a couple of comparisons with VBR and different reporting tools and what I have found is that its a give&take situation.  Depending on the features you need, Aptare is probably the best out there followed by BackupVISUAL (though BackupVISUAL is a good tool, its implementation is a little bit questionable, IMHO) followed by VBR followed by etc... you get the idea.  My biggest problem is that VBR does not handle/record/update change very well and with a mixed environment with multiple Master/Media boxes on varied networks, the problems become even more evident including inconsistent numbers (currently we offset this with some heavy perl scripting).  To their defense VBR is stable, installation has always been smooth and crashes are next to non-existent but what that's worth compared to other products..... well I guess it comes down to price/needs.