Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Max Fragment Size for Disk and LTO4 Based Storage Units

2008-02-01 10:43:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Max Fragment Size for Disk and LTO4 Based Storage Units
From: Bryan Bahnmiller <bryan.bahnmiller AT managedmail DOT com>
To: "JAJA (Jamie Jamison)" <jamisonj AT zgi DOT com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 09:11:25 -0600
Jamie,

   I did a lot of testing at one point trying to tune NetBackup for
DSSU's, LTO2 and LTO3.

   I found that 1024 MB fragments would never even spin up the LTO3
drive. It would basically start to speed up, then it would slow down
because it had to position for the next fragment. Total time - 6 seconds!

   After much experimentation, I found that 6GB fragments worked best
for LTO2 and 10GB fragments best for LTO3. (Local FC attached high speed
disk to FC attached tape drives.) LTO4's could probably even use larger
fragments, I never tested them.

   And to confirm what Ed says, given the speed of the tape drives,
restores are not an issue. At most, even with 20GB fragments like Ed
uses, you may spend an extra minute or two pulling the file off the tape.

     Bryan

--
Bryan Bahnmiller