Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5.1 with VCB 1.1

2008-01-31 14:07:04
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.5.1 with VCB 1.1
From: "Daniel Goh" <hullo_daniel AT hotmail DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 02:41:32 +0800
Hi all,

I am currently implementing NBU 6.5.1 with VCB 1.1.
Am using Netapps FAS2020 iSCSI LUNs.
However on running the backup in NBU 6.5.1 with VCB 1.1, I always get
snapshot error.

We always get error code 156.

Error Message:

FTL - snapshot creation failed, status 156

Although I can see the VM snapshot creation in VirtualCenter console, the
VMDK backup process never took place and respectively the newly created VM
snapshots were deleted automatically by VirtualCenter after few seconds.

After inspecting some of the netbackup logs I believe I found the exact
cause however I don't have a workaround for it as yet.

Fragments from the "bpfis.log" file:

17:52:19.085 [5596.6096] <2> onlfi_vfms_logf: do_cmd: Command failed
""C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup
Framework\vcbMounter.exe" -h esxhost:443 -u "root" -p *********** -c
"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Consolidated Backup Framework\vmName.cache"
-a ipaddr:vmguest.domain.local -t fullvm -L 6 -r
"e:\vcb_mnt\vmguest.domain.local" -M 1 -m san" <NUL
>C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\VfMS-05596201020733266096000000002-a06096
2>C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\VfMS-05596201020733266096000000003-a06096

As it can be seen, the command initiated by NetBackup to VCB contains the
parameter of using SAN transfer method which is not going to work for me
because I don't have SAN infrastructure at all. I would like to use the "-m
nbd" feature of VCB for making backups over LAN however I can't find any
place where to change this parameter in NetBackup.

Initiating the "vcbMounter" manually from CLI with the correct parameter
works just great so in my opinion this is definitely a problem with the
NetBackup / VCB cooperation. I didn't find any clues neither on the internet
nor in the official manuals regarding such situations so I would appreciate
very much the help of anyone who can give me some workarounds or additional
information on how to procede next.