Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Status 25 - Cannot Connect On Socket

2008-01-29 12:43:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Status 25 - Cannot Connect On Socket
From: "Randy Samora" <Randy.Samora AT stewart DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:04:55 -0600

I have gone through the steps outlined in the In-depth Troubleshooting Guide for Exit Status Code 25 in Veritas NetBackup (tm) Server / NetBackup Enterprise Server 6.0 but I have one client that continues to fail with a status 25.  The client was backing up fine until last Friday.  I was told that the server crashed as if someone had unplugged it but it came back up after a reboot.  Ever since that time, the backups have failed.  All other types of communication are fine except for the actual attempt to backup data.

1.    I can bpclntcmd –pn, -hn, -self, -ip and I get proper responses to and from the Master, Media Server and Client.

2.    I can nslookup, nbtstat and ping in both directions.

3.    I can telnet to bpcd on the client successfully.

4.    I uninstalled and reinstalled the client.  I even typed in a fake server name along with the other Media Server names and the installation recognized that the server name was bad.

5.    I uninstalled 6.0 and reinstalled 5.1 but the job still failed.

6.    I uninstalled the clients and pushed the install from the Master to verify communication and the install was successful.

7.    When I open the Backup, Archive and Restore GUI on the client, I’m able to browse files from all of the previous backups.

8.    If I try to run a user backup from the client, the job also fails with a Status 25 but the failure is immediate where as the backup from the Master will run for 2 hours before failing.

9.    The client is on the same subnet as the Master and Media and no firewalls.

10.  I defragged the one drive configured on the client.

I cannot backup any data and I cannot connect to the client via Client Properties on the Master Server GUI.  When I start a job, bpcd starts on the client but bpbkar32 never starts.  I’ve rebooted, uinstalled, reinstalled, lit a few candles and organized an all night vigil and still no luck.

Anyone have any secrets I don’t know about to resolve the issue?

Thanks,
Randy