Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Anyone know how to remove a host name from GUI loginscreen?

2008-01-25 14:29:31
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Anyone know how to remove a host name from GUI loginscreen?
From: Christopher Robin Zimmerman <chris AT kzim DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:10:44 -0600 (CST)
>We have retired some servers and I would like the host name from showing up as
>an option in the Java GUI login screen.
>
>Anyone know where that info is stored?
>
>Bobby Williams
>2205 Peterson Drive
>Chattanooga, Tennessee  37421
>423-296-8200

If you're on a UNIX system, poke around ~/.java/.userPrefs/vrts.  It might
be in any number of XML files underneath that directory (I shouldn't have
to add "hand edit at your own risk" but I will).  You could also just
rename the entire directory to "start over from scratch" and blow it away
later (again, rename and/or blow away at your own risk).

If you're on Windows, it looks like your registry key equivalents of these
XML files can be found underneath
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\vrts, but I'm even MORE paranoid
about making changes THERE, so forget I said anything.  :)

(I'm running 6.5.1 and can't vouch completely for earlier versions but
hopefully this should give you a general idea of where to look)

Thanks,
CRZ

--
Christopher Robin Zimmerman - <http://CRZ.net/>