Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Recover from hot catalog secondary copy

2008-01-24 11:52:39
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Recover from hot catalog secondary copy
From: "Preston, Douglas L" <dpreston AT landam DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:25:41 -0500
This is the steps to restore from hot catalog backups.  This works from
6.0GA through 6.5GA I have not tried it yet on 6.51
I use multiple copies in my hot catalog policy, the Media are written at
the same time in my catalog backup
I do not duplicate the hot catalog backups with my duplication jobs.  I
keep one on-site and one off-site.
For DR I restore from the off-site copy.
My hot catalog policy also creates a DR-image on disk and it gets
attached to my recovery report emails.

X00919 is primary copy.
X01011 is secondary copy.
VltCat-Backup-1 is my hot catalog backup policy.
snetbu1 is my master server.

Following this procedure you should be able to restore from primary or
secondary copy.
This is from my recovery report for my vault session.
I have used this in DR testing and it works every time.

You should create a detailed disaster recovery plan to follow should it
become
necessary to restore your organization's data in the event of a
disaster.  A
checklist of required tasks can be a tremendous tool in assisting
associates in
triage.  For example, after the facility is safe for data to be
restored, the
power and data infrastructure need to be verified.  When these tasks are
completed, the following scenarios will help to quickly restore the
NetBackup
environment, and in turn, restore applications and data.

Disaster Recovery Procedure using duplicated Storage Unit Images

        1. Install NetBackup.
        2. Configure the devices necessary to read the media listed
above.
        3. Inventory the media.
        4. Run one of these:
                bpimport -create_db_info [-server name] -id X00919
                bpimport -create_db_info [-server name] -id X01011
        5. Run:
                bpimport -policy VltCat-Backup-1 -cn <copy number>
        6. If recovering from other than the primary copy
           Run:
                bpchangeprimary -copy <copy number> -pn VltCat-Backup-1
        7. Run:
                bprecover -r -nbdb
        8. Run
                bprestore -T -w [-L progress_log] -C snetbu1 -t 35 -p
VltCat-Backup-1 -X -s 1201111126 -e 1201111126 /

Disaster Recovery Procedure without the DR Image File
NOTE: ONLY ATTEMPT THIS AS A LAST RESORT
If you do not have the attachment included with this email, use the
following
instructions to recover your catalog:

        1. Install NetBackup.
        2. Configure the devices necessary to read the media listed
above.
        3. Inventory the media.
        4. Run one of these:
                bpimport -create_db_info [-server name] -id X00919
        5. Go to the following directory to find the DR image file
           VltCat-Backup-1_1201111126_UBAK:
           G:\Program
Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\db\images\snetbu1\1201000000\tmp
        6. Delete the other files in the directory.
        7. Open VltCat-Backup-1_1201111126_UBAK file and find the
BACKUP_ID
        (for example: snetbu1_1201111126).
        8. Run:
                bpimport [-server name] -backupid snetbu1_1201111126
        9. Run:
                bprestore -T -w [-L progress_log] -C snetbu1 -t 35 -p
VltCat-Backup-1 -X -s 1201111126 -e 1201111126 /
        10. Run the BAR user interface to restore the remaining image
database
        if the DR image is a result of an incremental backup.
NOTE: This backup has multiple copies enabled, you may need to change
primary
images with the following command.
        bpchangeprimary -copy number -pn VltCat-Backup-1 [-sd mm/dd/yyyy
[ HH:MM:SS ] ] [-ed mm/dd/yyyy  [ HH:MM:SS ] ]
        11. To recover the NetBackup relational database, run:
                bprecover -r -nbdb
        12. Stop and Start NetBackup
        13. Configure the devices if any device has changed since the
last
        backup.
        14. To make sure the volume information is updated, inventory
the media
        to update the NetBackup database.

Doug Preston