Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup vs. The Rest of the World

2008-01-22 15:57:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup vs. The Rest of the World
From: "Randy Samora" <Randy.Samora AT stewart DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:32:29 -0600

I guess ’08 is the year my company wants me to justify everything and now I’m having to defend NetBackup.  I honestly don’t think anyone here is wanting me to replace NetBackup but the check signers want to see some comparisons with HP’s Data Protector and Microsoft’s DPM.  Does anyone have any experience with one or both of the others and can you give me compelling reasons why you chose NetBackup?  From what I’ve read so far, the other two don’t really appear to be true “Enterprise” sized solutions.  I have over 800 clients, 4 remote installs and the home installation, and over 60TB of data.  While cost is probably the driving force behind me being tasked with evaluating other options, the cost of changing out applications would obviously not be cheap.  But I need more ammunition.  Anyone care to share their good and/or bad experiences with any of the other backup applications?

Thank you,

Randy Samora

Team Lead - Enterprise Backup & Recovery

Enterprise Server and Storage Systems

randy.samora AT stewart DOT com

Mobile: 713.256.8224

Office:  713.625-8369