Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Opinions about NetVault by BakBone

2008-01-21 16:03:33
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Opinions about NetVault by BakBone
From: "Sesar, Steven L." <ssesar AT mitre DOT org>
To: "Kevin Whittaker" <Kevin.Whittaker AT syniverse DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:49:51 -0500

I looked at NV a few years ago, and at the time, it wasn't quite ready for prime time, in terms of what kind of data I needed to protect. My understanding is that they have improved by leaps and bounds.

I would start right there. Determine what kinds of data you need to protect, what your RPO/RTO requirements are - basically, define your BUR requirements up front. Then, take a look at possible solutions that meet or exceed your requirements.

Not sure if this makes sense for you guys as a solution, but NA does offer some pretty neat data protection applications. If you already own NA, then it might make sense to take advantage of some of those features, as opposed to purchasing a third-party application and a dedicated infrastructure to support it.

===================================

   Steven L. Sesar
   Lead Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
   UNIX Application Services R101
   The MITRE Corporation
   202 Burlington Road - MS K101
   Bedford, MA 01730