Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Error 13, 14, 23, yada yada yada on NBU 6.0 w/ MacAfee.

2008-01-17 11:28:23
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Error 13, 14, 23, yada yada yada on NBU 6.0 w/ MacAfee.
From: "Cruice, Daniel \(US - Glen Mills\)" <dcruice AT deloitte DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:59:34 -0500

Information for my NBU colleagues.

We came across something in our environment about a month or more ago where we had a very large number of jobs fail with various network related issues.  And it was random clients or random media servers.  We went thru and upgraded our backup infrastructure, built new media server etc etc.  All with no good results.  Our issue started around the end of November and anything you can think of we have tried.  We eventually had a Symantec Consultant come onsite for two weeks to find our issue, in conjunction with Symantec support we FINALLY believe we found our culprit…and here it is…McAfee McShield 8.5 patch 4.  Broke us bad…real bad.

And simply disabling the services WILL NOT fix the issue, we had to manually remove McAfee from all of our Media and the Master server.

Below is the tech note.  The gentleman who found it, reads these forums.  So publicly I like to thank-you, really appreciate your efforts.

McAfee is supposed to have fixes for this issue.

3RD PARTY: NetBackup Services randomly shut down.

Details:

Vendor/Product:
McAfee McShield 8.5 patch 3 or patch 4.

***NOTE***  If confirmation of this issue has occurred, it is Highly Recommended for the customer to open a ticket directly with McAfee Support for the latest update on how to handle this problem.

Detail/Symptom(s):
* NetBackup services randomly shut down including:

NetBackup Resource Broker Service

NetBackup Notification Service

NetBackup Policy Execution Manager Service

NetBackup Service Layer Service

* Active Jobs finish but tapes are not moved from drives back to slots
* Active Jobs which need to span media sit at "Waiting for next media: Any"
* Queued Jobs do not go active

The above symptoms can happen once or twice per day and can occur on the smallest or largest installations.

We have been able to associate these symptoms with the existence of McAfee McShield 8.5 patch 3 or patch 4 running concurrently with NetBackup 6.0.

The NetBackup Services are shutting themselves down because the inter-process sockets are being disconnected.  The processes attempt to reconnect, but are unable to do so and the services shut down.

Log Files:

12/20/07 01:53:56.227 137 PID:7184 TID:7556 [TAO] ACE_Select_Reactor_Notify::notify [handle=0x1f8]: write to notification pipe handle failed: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. (10054)

12/20/07 01:53:56.227 137 PID:7184 TID:7556 [TAO] sleep_hook failed: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

12/20/07 01:53:56.242 137 PID:7184 TID:920 [TAO] handle_notify_pipe_close - taking action REOPEN

12/20/07 01:54:17.336 137 PID:7184 TID:920 [TAO] handle_notify_pipe_close: failed to re-open notification pipe: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Workaround:

There several workarounds which can be implemented:

1. Uninstall McAfee McShield 8.5 and reboot. (simply stopping McShield services is not sufficient)
2. Roll-back to McAfee McShield 8.0.
3. McAfee recommends:

A. Opening a ticket with McAfee Support on this issue.

B. Renaming this driver file MFETDIK.sys and rebooting.  The lost functionality is, Port Blocking access protection rules, and identification of Source IP address for a remote attacker.

4. Implement these excludes (mixed success with this potential workaround)

McAfee McShield can exclude by directory structure or by process - its up to the customer:

Good luck all and figured I’d pass this along in the event anyone out there is running NBU 6.0 and MacAfee…

Dan Cruice.

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.