Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Checkpoints and Disk Storage Units

2008-01-17 10:35:18
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Checkpoints and Disk Storage Units
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 10:15:17 -0500
Lets say I have two disk storage units 1TB each in a storage group set to Prioritized.  I'm writing a 1.5TB Backup with checkpoints every 15 minutes.  Is it possible with checkpoints  enabled that the backup will write appox 1TB data, mark a checkpoint, and then process the storage group, see that it is full and continue writing to the next DSU in the storage group?  I read the following in the 6.5 Admin manual that's got me thinking.

Basic disk staging limitations
The basic disk staging method does not support the backup images that span disk storage units. To avoid spanning storage units: do not use Checkpoint restart on a backup policy that writes to a storage unit group that contains multiple disk staging storage units.

So an image can't  span storage units (understood) but can fragments of an image span disk storage units?  I suspect not.  I'm trying to create a scenario to test for this but disk time is limited.

Thanks,

-Jonathan