Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] 3rd party scheduling

2008-01-16 13:41:02
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] 3rd party scheduling
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "A Darren Dunham" <ddunham AT taos DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:17:41 -0500
I agree it takes a fair amount of work and planning.  However, I
disagree that it wasn't worth the effort.  In the places where we did it
I much preferred the TWS setup to using NBU scheduling and/or cron for
those jobs that had to be client initiated.  The logging it did was a
very good tool for determining where in the process things broke down
and kept me from troubleshooting things that weren't the underlying
issue.  Also it saved CPU/memory because if the first job didn't work it
didn't try to kick off the other jobs at all (they would fail because of
the first job's failure if they had kicked off).   Finally, since it was
an overall schedule once we'd resolved the issue with the job that
failed we could resume the schedule at the point of failure instead of
having to manually deal with different steps.  (I have to do this manual
stuff at my present job because we rely on cron jobs instead.)

As to signaling it is very easy within scripts to set exit status/return
value (at least in UNIX/Linux) and use non-zero status as a "failure" of
the job to prevent the schedule from proceeding to the next job.   One
thing to be sure you do within such scripts used for jobs is to be sure
you set an overall exit status rather than take the one for the last
command executed within the script.
e.g. If you had a script that did something like initiate a BCV
establish, monitor until done then split then at the end you did
something like "echo Job Completed" the final exit status for the job
would be 0 so long as the echo worked even if the BCV establish or split
had failed.  You have to get the status for each of these and add it to
a return value variable (say $RETVAL) then at the end of the script put
in a statement like "exit $RETVAL) so it would no the overall job had
failed rather than rely on the exit status of that last command.