Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Strategy

2008-01-04 09:50:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Strategy
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Randy Samora" <Randy.Samora AT stewart DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 09:34:24 -0500

A couple of things.

1)  In my original write of email I had mentioned databases were an exception.  Apparently on editing I left it out.  However I did note that it was overkill only for things that don’t frequently change.  Having worked in several large IT shops I’ve yet to run across one that backed up every OS (/, /var, /usr, /opt) component every night and as I said it is overkill.  The things that change in these directories do so rarely and compared to things like databases restore times are negligible even if you had to restore a CumulativeIncremental after a Full.

2)  The discussion of data domain etc… doesn’t answer the OP’s question.   He was asking for a strategy on how to maximize success using his existing setup.    My response was based on that.  His main concern seemed to be how he could setup the backup strategy so that he wouldn’t need two tapes for a single drive on the weekend which presumably means there is no operator available to change the tape.