Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup Strategy

2008-01-03 14:44:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup Strategy
From: "Bockert, Patrick" <Patrick.Bockert AT disney DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 19:22:24 +0000

Greetings,

I'm looking for assistance in creating a new backup strategy for a number of servers that are currently being backed up nightly with a full backup. Until now the backups were running fine, but the problem is that the backup's are now requiring a second tape to complete and over the weekend there is no one available to swap tapes.

Our current retention of the daily tape is 30 days and the monthly are kept for a year. My first inclination is to schedule a weekly full with differentials for the remainder of the week. Instead of 14 tapes per week, I could maybe get by with 3. The full backup would still require 2 tapes but if the differentials could be appended to the same tape I could maybe leave the tape in for the rest of the week. Then start the rotation with another set of 3 tapes with four sets in all.

Specifically I'm utilizing Veritas BackupExec to backup HP Proliant servers to super DLT Tape.

I'm looking for a simple solution that may result in less time and tapes to implement.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Regards,
Patrick Bockert