Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Any BMR with Linux clients success ?

2007-12-21 09:24:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Any BMR with Linux clients success ?
From: Bluejay AT fujigreenwood DOT com
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 09:04:22 -0500
> > Ya know, all you need to do "BMR" for Linux systems is a Knoppix (or,
> > suppose, any other Live-CD) with a Netbackup client on it. Boot from
> > the CD, partition and file-system your disks, mount 'em, and restore
all
> > the files. Install your boot loader and you're pretty much done. You
could
> > even write a script do handle most of the grunt work; I know, that's
> > just what I did.

These are all good questions, and ones that, IMHO, need to be answered no
matter what your DR strategy:

> And where do you keep your documentation on your partitions?

My recovery CD has config files for each system to be recovered.
Alternatively, I could keep a config file (automatically updated with the
current partition structure) on each client and restore that as the first
step in the recovery process. My environment isn't that dynamic and having
it on the CD saves a step.

> Is the admin that replaces you 5 years from now going to know
> what those partitions are supposed to look like?

Yes, since the partitions are documented in the config file, as well as
our server documentation (which is also in our DR kit).

> Is he/she even going to be
> able to find that recovery CD?

Yes. It's a part of our DR kit, along with documentation on how to use it.

>Are you regularly updating that Knoppix
> CD with a current NetBackup client

Yes.

> Are you testing that CD?

Regularly, via formal audits, as well as using that CD to create copies of
systems in our test lab.

>Do
> you have a copy of that CD in your offsite storage location?

Yes.

BTW, we do the same thing for our Tru64 systems.

                                                                      -
Bluejay Adametz

So far as a man thinks, he is free. - R. W. Emerson