Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Need date calculation utility

2007-12-21 01:32:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Need date calculation utility
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 06:16:39 +0000
On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 05:00:49PM -0800, Conner, Neil wrote:
> I don't expire volumes - I re-use media with a 2-year retention.

I'm referring to the expiration of all the images on the volume
(netbackup expiration), not decomissioning of the media.  Usually you
don't recall the tape until all the images (and therefore the volume)
has expired.  You can get that date from 'bpmedialist'.

Then you can calculate the next service date forward from that time.

> >>Do you use the vltreturn field to schedule returns for your media?
>
> No, this is just a convenient place to store the dates so I could compare my
> inventory to Iron Mountain's from time-to-time.  I'll look into using the
> Description field that somebody else suggested.

I'd probably just set it to the expiration date, or to the service date
following.