Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Orphane Oracle backups

2007-12-20 03:22:52
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Orphane Oracle backups
From: Bancal <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 23:58:26 -0800
Hello,

In our NetBackup environment we intensively use RMAN scripts to backup Oracle
instances. Currently we backup
up over 70 Oracle instances. We have suddenly noticed a strange and puzzling.
thing. If Full or Incremental backup
job that backs up Oracle instance fails when sucessfull application backups
remain on tapes and in NetBackup catalog.
We know that failed Oracle backup can't be restored sucessfully and just
restart this backup job. Therefore these
sucessfull application backups that pertain to failed Oracle backup are
useless. It is just a waste of space on tapes.
Why Netbackup doesn't sucessfull expire application backups if Oracle backup
fails?
How do you cope with this problem in your NetBackup environments: expire these
backups manually,
use some sort of scripting or just leave these backups intact till they expire?