Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] New Installation: 6.0 MP4 or 6.5 MPx ?

2007-12-18 23:42:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] New Installation: 6.0 MP4 or 6.5 MPx ?
From: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 21:03:29 -0700
Greetings,

I'm coming into an unique opportunity with regards to NetBackup.  I'm
going to get to start from scratch.  No upgrades, imports, migrations,
etc.   This environment is currently running NB5.0 and I also manage a
5.1 backing up 70 TB of SAN storage.  We want to stay with NetBackup and
not switch to another vendor.

The old environment we inherited is old (hardware and software), been
managed by at least 4 different groups of administrators and
transitioned between at least 2 companies.  We know the database is not
clean.  We've decided we are going to set up everything new and when
everything on the old one expires, we're going to just shut it all off :-)

I've seen a number of threads about which versions to go to (6.0 MP4 vs
6.5 seemed the most common).  Almost all of these dealt with upgrades.
I don't want to start any of the which is better threads but would like
to see what people would choose if they had the start from scratch
option.  From what I'm seeing, I'm leaning towards 6.0 MP4.

Below is what we are going to be using and backing up:

Master server - Dell 2950 RHEL4 (final details like release level still
pending).
Current SAN media servers - hpux 11.00 (L3000 x 2) and 1 hpux 11.11
(rp3440), all fibre attached to the tape library.
Network clients - 1 RH3 client.
Tape library - Dell MS6000 with 4 fibre Gen 3 Ultrium drives.
SAN switches - Brocade 4100 x 2 ( We will also run the EMC SAN
connections through the switches).

The plan is to start replacing the hpux servers with Dell servers.  They
will also do SAN backups.  Everything else listed above will be new.
There will be ~ 20 TB of SAN based data on the 4 servers.  Licensing may
be an issue as it seems to have changed.  We currently have tier 1 hpux
licenses for the master and SAN media servers, along with some unix
network client licenses.  We're trying to figure out the tier changes
but I can't get my hands on a licensing guide.  We have enough drive and
SSO licenses for the new library.

We don't do any database backups like Oracle, no Windows at all, no
vaulting or remote replication, and don't currently have any reporting
software like Aptare to deal with the latest revisions.  It sounds so
easy and simple it scares me :-)

Thanks,

Jeff

--