Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] T2000 vaulting performance with VTL/LTO3

2007-12-08 19:58:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] T2000 vaulting performance with VTL/LTO3
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 19:34:41 -0500
> I'm watching the duplication job that the vault spawns to
> copy the backup from VTL to LTO3.  For the bptm process that
> is doing the read from VTL:
>
> <2> io_init: buffer size for read is 64512
>
> Obviously, I want to use a high buffer size for reads, but I
> already have SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS and SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_RESTORE
> set to 262144 so I'm not sure how to modify that particular
> buffer setting.

What makes you think there is a SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_RESTORE parameter?
There isn't one in the NetBackup Backup Planning and Performance Tuning
Guide for 6.0, at least.

Normal variable-length tape I/O processing has always been to do a read
into a buffer "large enough" and see how much data comes back.  So, in
NetBackup, AFAIK, the concept of setting a restore buffer size is
nonsensical; the buffer size will be whatever the tape was written at.

Sounds as if your VTL tape was wrirten in that Solaris-ish 63KB size.
You can confirm by, for instance, reading a few blocks with dd.
Assuming that pans out, why did the VTL tape get written that way?
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS incorrect, in the wrong place, on the wrong media
server, typo, ignored by the VTL driver, ...  Do you see the size and
number of buffers you specified showing up in the bptm logs when backing
up?