Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] T2000 vaulting performance with VTL/LTO3

2007-12-07 17:58:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] T2000 vaulting performance with VTL/LTO3
From: Chris_Millet <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 14:39:05 -0800
Ok, I think I might have discovered something key to my poor performance..

I'm watching the duplication job that the vault spawns to copy the backup from
VTL to LTO3.  For the bptm process that is doing the read from VTL:

<2> io_init: buffer size for read is 64512

Obviously, I want to use a high buffer size for reads, but I already have
SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS and SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS_RESTORE set to 262144 so I'm not sure
how to modify that particular buffer setting.

To somebody else who asked, the connectivity between devices is a Qlogic 9000
series switch and a pair of QLE2462s in the T2000.  4Gb all the way through
from host to switch and switch to the VTL front-end port.  I think the LTO3
drives are only 2Gb but that should be plenty.  Using seperate HBA ports for
the VTL luns and LTO3 drive.

/etc/system is at default.. no tuning done there since this is a Solaris 10
system with 8GB of memory (so 2GB for shared memory).

Using 128 buffers, 262144 size.  Goign to increase the # since the system has
plenty of memory.

Also, in dd tests, I'm able to achieve line speeds on the HBA writing to the
VTL so I know its up for the task.  I gotta think that the 64k buffer used for
reading though is killing the performance.