Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] LTO Generation 4 tape throughput with on-drive encryption

2007-12-06 21:07:57
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] LTO Generation 4 tape throughput with on-drive encryption
From: bobbyrjw AT comcast DOT net
To: "JAJA (Jamie Jamison)" <jamisonj AT zgi DOT com>, veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 01:54:13 +0000
The big catch is that the "drive" supports encryption, but you have to have something to make it encrypt.  If you have an IBM 3584 library, then you can upgrade the firmware AND use an IBM software package to do key management for encryption.

Just because you have an LTO-4 drive does not mean that you can encrypt.  Encryption key management is not at the drive.

I have tested encrypted vs. non-encrypted backups and did not see any significant difference.

Bobby.

From: "JAJA (Jamie Jamison)" <jamisonj AT zgi DOT com>