Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO Generation 4 tape throughput with on-drive encryption

2007-12-06 19:13:22
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO Generation 4 tape throughput with on-drive encryption
From: "JAJA (Jamie Jamison)" <jamisonj AT zgi DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 15:53:52 -0800
I'm researching the purchase of a new library with LTO generation 4 tape
drives and am interested in using the on-drive encryption to encrypt my
backup tapes so that if a box of tapes ever falls off of the Iron
Mountain truck I'm not having to explain things to the board of
directors and legal, update my resume and/or both. The spec sheets for
the LTO-4 drives that I've seen claim throughput of up to 120Mbps, but
as we all know the devil is in the details and for all I know that
throughput could have consisted of writing extremely large files
consisting of nothing but the letter "e" to tape, without using
encryption. Has anyone upgraded to LTO gen 4 yet who is also using the
on-drive encryption and if so what kind of throughput do you see on
average. Any real-world, real-life information will be greatly
appreciated.

Thank You,

Jamie Jamison
ZymoGenetics, Seattle