Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Over 2 million files to backup - how long?

2007-12-03 15:19:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Over 2 million files to backup - how long?
From: nitin.bhosale AT 3i-infotech DOT com
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 01:25:57 +0530

Hi Kevin,
        According to symantec backup happens fast if there are few large files. Slow backup occurs when disk contains thousands of small files( ur scenarios has ~2M files) which is huge. Multistreaming can help but I suggest using raw backup as it has helped me out(give better performance than normal bkp strategy). I have multiple client with tons of files on them.

But for using raw bkp you shoud have exclusive access to the partitions .Below is the eg:
SYNTAX
/\\.\C:
/\\.\D:
Hope this works for you too. Reply on improvement.

Regards
Nitin Bhosale