Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Suspend or Freeze media

2007-11-21 18:33:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Suspend or Freeze media
From: "Marianu, Jonathan" <JM7640 AT att DOT com>
To: "Marianu, Jonathan" <JM7640 AT att DOT com>, <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:14:53 -0800
Part 1 of 2

Matt,

This applies to 5.1 and below.

Also, triple check all advice because I could be wrong. I don't have access to
production NBU systems so this is from memory and my notes. Also I am writing
without providing a full explanation. So I will include some notes at the
bottom for you to review.

And learn some basic awk. A few days of learning awk will save you weeks of
typing. I train other NBU admins and that is one of the first things they learn.

--My comments--

Freezing and suspending are media attributes stored in the media database on
the media server.
See field 15 of bpmedialist -l.

This is important because it means it does not impact the image db on the
master.
The images will expire regardless of the media's attribute unless you change
the image expiration (bpexpdate)

A frozen media is never put back into service unless you manually unfreeze it.
I think suspended moves back when the images expire, but I'm not 100% certain.

Another thing to remember is you can only freeze assigned media because only
assigned media is stored in a media database.

So to phase out LTO2:

-Make a copy of volDB on the master and the mediaDB on the media servers so
that you can roll back.

-identify which LTO2 media is assigned (storing images) and which media is not
assigned.
# vmquery -pn SCRATCH -l | awk '{print $1}'
This should list the unassigned media

-remove the Scratch LTO2 media from the library and sync the volDB.

-If you have expired tapes outside the library, use vmdelete to remove them
from volDB.

-freeze the remaining LTO2 media using "bpmedia -m MEDIAID -h MEDIA_SERVER_NAME"