Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape Drive & Disk sharing HBAs - revisited

2007-11-21 12:10:15
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape Drive & Disk sharing HBAs - revisited
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "jim fred" <jim.fred01 AT gmail DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:54:12 -0500

To add to your “sparsely and vaguely documented” documentation:  We frequently have to reset one of the fibre HBAs on our HP-UX master server attached to our fibre bridges for SCSI tape drives on the L700 tape library to clear issues.   The idea of having those HBAs also be the point of entry for the disk drives would be a major issue for us.

We’ve and HP have never been able to diagnose this as a problem with the HBAs themselves.  It just appears that on occasion things get hung.

If you’d prefer to think it doesn’t really happen feel free to put yourself at risk.  Personally I think real world anecdotes trump theoretical white papers every time.