Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] backup not expiring in netbackup 4.5

2007-11-19 07:41:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] backup not expiring in netbackup 4.5
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: ratheesh.das AT mindspeed DOT com
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:30:31 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, ratheesh.das AT mindspeed DOT com wrote:

> Hi,
> Retention is set correct. For daily it is set to 14 days and weekly one
> month and for monthly it is 3 months. I had a backup on 11/03/2007 and it
> is showing the expiration date as 11/17/2007. But the image is not deleted
> and I can still restore from it.
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Ratheesh R Das
> M I N D S P E E D Technologies
> Storage and Backup | 866-772-4252 ext 2301
> ratheesh.das AT mindspeed DOT com
>

> Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
> 11/19/2007 05:51 PM

> ratheesh.das AT mindspeed DOT com
> cc
> veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
> Subject
> Re: [Veritas-bu] backup not expiring in netbackup 4.5
>

> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, ratheesh.das AT mindspeed DOT com wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I have netbackup 4.5 running in solaris. I am now seeing that my backups
>> are not expiring even after the expiration date and I can even restore
>> from them. Pls suggest what can be the problem.
>>
>> Thanks & Regards,
>>
>> Ratheesh R Das
>> M I N D S P E E D Technologies
>> Storage and Backup | 866-772-4252 ext 2301
>> ratheesh.das AT mindspeed DOT com
>>

> What is the retention set to in the polices?
>
> Justin.

In this case, you may have other images with different retentions set to
the tape; however that would not explain why you can still restore from
something that should have expired on 11/17/2007.  Is your date set right
on all of your servers?  What does your bp.conf file look like on the
master server?

Justin.