Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Error 85's

2007-11-09 15:56:34
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Error 85's
From: Bluejay AT fujigreenwood DOT com
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 15:29:12 -0500
> I have been getting random error 85’s since adding AIX media
> servers. I have an i2000 with 16 LTO3 drives that are all shared
> between 5 Window media server and 4 AIX Media servers. The Master is
> 6.0 MP5 on Windows. All the tapes are shared from the scratch pool,
> meaning if a tape was written by a windows media server it goes
> right back into the scratch pool once its expired and can now be
> grabbed by an AIX server.
> Due to the randomness of the error 85’s is there a chance that the
> AIX servers are writing to the tapes in a different header size or
> block size that is causing the servers to freak out?

Assuming there's truly no correlation between tapes and drives that are
getting the errors (check the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/media/errors files
on all your media servers), my next guess might be some sort of SSO
problem. Back before SCSI reservations I would see a lot of this sort of
thing if something on a server (almost always a Windows box, especially
the removable media service) would put it's fingers all over any tapes it
saw, randomly causing "media" errors.

That "shouldn't" happen now with SCSI reservations, but if reservations
are not working properly, it's a possibility.

                                                                     -
Bluejay Adametz

Flon's Law: There is not now, and never will be, a language in which
                it is the least bit difficult to write bad programs.