Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] catalog backups. NBU 6.0 MP3

2007-11-08 11:53:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] catalog backups. NBU 6.0 MP3
From: "Ian Clements" <Ian.Clements AT arm DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 08:20:01 -0800
Greetings,

 I'm a little behind the 8-ball on this one but while I pursue
other options, I wanted to ask the question here.

 I have an installation of NBU 6.0 MP3 in a remote office. For
some time now, catalog backups have been taking a very long time
to run and while they run, the machine (a Sun V240) slowly grinds
to a halt. So much so that basic stuff won't run (like cputst).
About the only hint of anything in the system log file is the
failure of cputst to run.

        Nov  6 04:59:25 admin2      Could not start CPU test program: \
                /usr/platform/sun4u/sbin/sparcv9+vis2/cputst
        Nov  6 04:59:25 admin2     System call fork() failed. Reason: \
                Resource temporarily unavailable

Syslog continues to run though :)

Things I've looked at include the system file configuration (looks OK).
The machine was more than a little shy of physical memory and that's
been fixed too.

I'm told this has been the case for a while now. In the past, it would
take several hours to do the catalog backup and now it never appears to
finish.

Looking at the logs, we find:

        vxlogview -p NB -d all -X 96660 > /tmp/96660.out
        V-1-1-12 There are no records to be displayed.
        V-1-1-13 NOTE: There were 5 corrupted log records.

I'm told that there's no db checking utility in 6.0 and I'm wondering
if this isn't a problem with the catalog database.

Anyway, any pointers, tips, bad jokes, etc. would be greatly
appreciated.

ian

medium.  Thank you.