Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Domino ( lotus notes ) on Windows

2007-11-02 08:54:17
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Domino ( lotus notes ) on Windows
From: Bobby R Windle <bwindle AT wlgore DOT com>
To: "Boris Kraizman" <sysadminzone AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 08:31:12 -0400

We do not use the lotus notes agent. We tried it but it did not make any difference. The other thing was more over head on
the Domino server. That is the core of the problem in my opinion. While Windows is Kool, it just does not do such a great
job with the tcpip stack in comparison to say Solaris or Unix. We have a lot of clean up domino type things that have to run
at night so everything competes. Even Incremental through out the week really don't work because Domino opens all the mail files
for writes there by causing Netbackup to think all of them have changed etc..

We are hoping in NBU6.5 we can do something with snap shot but that requires large system drive requirements, I think. Have
not had a chance to play with this yet. My guess is perhaps making the Domino server it's own media server and even looking
at the possibility of using a toe card.

The real smart thing is archive the data off but that brings a whole different set of problems & management into the picture, I'm sure.
This is just my opinion. Most folks don't agree with me so...   Thanks for string tho.. It is good hearing what others have to say and
really good to know that we are not alone in our pains.

Backup...
No one wants to do it,
No one wants to pay for it,
No one considers it until after the box goes into production,

BUT everyone
wants you to have recoverable data!    =:o(~

bwindle AT wlgore DOT com | http://www.gore.com

"Boris Kraizman" <sysadminzone AT gmail DOT com>

11/01/2007 05:44 PM

"Steve Quan" <sq01 AT yorku DOT ca>
cc
"Bobby R Windle" <bwindle AT wlgore DOT com>, "Brian P O'Neill" <boneill AT wlgore DOT com>, veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Domino ( lotus notes ) on Windows

Hi Steve,

Could you tell what exactly did not work for you with transaction log backups?
I was asked to evaluate the transaction log backups thru the NetBackup Notes agent, and I was wondering if anybody does it at all.

Thank you,
Boris