Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Data Domain Question

2007-10-25 15:27:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Data Domain Question
From: "Dyck, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Dyck AT cognos DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:06:16 -0400
Hi all,
Anyone using a Data Domain VTL in the following manner?

- 1 normal weekly full to start (Saturday/Sunday)
- 5 incrementals daily (Monday through Friday)
- following Saturday/Sunday create a synthetic full backup
- repeat incremental / synthetic full cycle

Does this seem like a logical use of the dedupe product?  Is it even
feasible? What are some of the cons?  I want to minimize the hit on the
primary systems (reduce the backup window, etc, etc), but still be able
to perform "full" backups every week.  I'd also want to replicate all
that good stuff to a remote site (which I hear DD is good at ;-)

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,
Jon