Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] "True" restore

2007-10-20 19:52:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] "True" restore
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>, <peterschmidt AT northwesternmutual DOT com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 19:34:30 -0400
I guess I don't see a problem with wiping out what is already there
before the restore.   We do this all the time to do DB restores from our
Production environment to refresh Test/Dev environments.   Presumably
you're doing the restore because you're environment is already hosed.

Since you say you can't have ANY files in the directory that weren't on
the backup then the rsync's only advantage is you could look at the
files restored before overwriting what is in the directory you had
originally backed up.  It has the big disadvantage of requiring you to
do I/O first for the restore from backup and then for the transfer from
one directory to the other (unless you insure both directories are on
the same filesystem).

Again since you're doing the restore because you're already hosed doing
the rsync would probably not be very helpful - if there was a chance you
could recover from the files already there rather than restoring from
backup you wouldn't be doing the restore in the first place.